Sunday, November 26, 2006

I’m just about to leave this hostel that I have been calling ‘home’ (base) for the last few weeks…and about to join up with a Dragomon tour thingy that will take me through more of Ecuador and Peru…ultimately ending on the top of Machu Pichu just after Christmas. As I was packing, I found a CD that a friend made me…so I have some pics to share with you guys!!

This first one is of the Eco-Lodge near Las Tolas…this was a clear day. The First week I was there, I was just surrounded by clouds. But when Candice and Chris came up, it got even clearer than this so we could see a stunning mountain range.

This is part of the town of Las Tolas. The sign indicates the artisans that we worked with.

This is the hot springs that I just got back from a few days ago…really relaxing!!

This last one is of the largest church in South America. The part of Quito that I have been staying at has a lot of old colonial architecture…sadly, there are also a lot of 70’s buildings sprinkled over ‘new town’…I guess that dark phase of architecture affected more than just North America L


I have finished 20 hours of Spanish lessons now, and yesterday I picked up a Spanish novel about the indigenous people here…I sat in a café yesterday afternoon and poked my way through the prologue…4 pages took me 40 minutes, but I at least think I understood what the author was saying!!

In South America, there are a LOT of people selling random things on the street (ie lottery tickets, shoe laces and a chance to weigh yourself) and any bus you ride has a bunch of children or men jumping on to sell you anything from fresh fruit to meet on a stick to watches…also, one thing that was kind of funny is that here is it the norm that they sell motorcycles in the same stores that they sell refrigerators! A friend pointed out that anytime you see an appliance store, you also see a few bikes too...

One last thing… a long time ago a friend of mine moved away to Ottawa and I was terribly sad. But he told me this little rhyme that I thought of last night (it was the first time I saw the moon through the clouds since being here). It goes:
I see the moon.
The moon sees me.
The moon sees the people that I want to see.

Chances are that if you are reading this blog, I thought of you last night when I said that little poem. I am having a great time here, but I miss a lot of the little things about my friends and family back home.

Lots of love,

Adrienne J

2 Comments:

At Thu Nov 30, 01:36:00 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah so many memories! Some AMAZING (hot springs, Rosa's house, cloud forest...etc.) and some TERRIBLE (mitad del mundo hamburger and...hmm that's it actually!) It's so great to read this so I can actually validate the fact that I was really there! I keep thinking it was too good to be true!

I was only with your for 3 weeks and we saw SO much. I'm so excited for the rest of your trip!

You can see more pictures here:

http://share.shutterfly.com/action/welcome?sid=0AYtWzFo4cM2Lk4

There are only a few up there right now but I'll be loading lots more when I get a chance. I've also got a video of Pinkie vs. the lamas that maybe we can put up.

What happened to the section on catch phrases from the trip?! You need to start that. I'll get things rolling here...

"This is very nice"
"Good fun!"
"Too far!"
"I'm going to get a mass-age"

Alright...I'm out of them. I can't remember anymore but I know there are lots more!

Okay well I'm back off into the real world :( Talk to you soon and ENJOY! We're all thinking of you, missing you and wishing you the best!

Love,

Candice

 
At Thu Dec 07, 12:14:00 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

Complete photo collection completed!

Ecuador pictures:
http://share.shutterfly.com/action/welcome?sid=0AYtWzFo4cM2Lmw

AND also Galapagos islands pictures:
http://share.shutterfly.com/action/welcome?sid=0AYtWzFo4cM2LoI

Candice

 

Post a Comment

<< Home