Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Hey, is that flashlight butterproof?!

how can i start something after 20 days without writing? simple; skip over all of the inspirational junk and get to some silly stories... the lovely moments forever embedded in my heart will just have to wait a few paragraphs.

so a few nights ago i was laying in bed in my hostel in Mendoza, Argentina, and the light off the street was very strong...no biggie, i thought, i have a sleeping mask in my bag... i'll just reach in and grab it... so after 10 minutes of rummaging and still no mask, my hand slipped into something moist at the bottom of my bag... my first thought was that my suntan lotion squished in my bag. but there was something off about the feel of the 'lotion' so i smelt my hand and came to the odd conclusion that it smelt like popcorn... lord i was confused. so i did the only thing that i could think of - go back to bed. but then another day passed and i forgot about it again. then this morning as i was trying to convince myself to get my body moving out of it's comfortable position and pack, a horrible feeling came over me that i still hadn't dealt with my popcorn issue...and from the feel of things a few nights ago there was a good chance that this was going to take a while to clean.

each time i pulled an item out of my bag, such as my jacket or my camera, i felt a little relief to see that they were safe. after 2 minutes of dumping my worldly possessions onto the floor, i finally 'got to the bottom of things' and saw that not only did i have butter all over the bottom of my bag, but that there was also jam... and worse, they had made their way into every crevice of my head torch. lesson learned: when you fly, don't keep the packets thinking that you will use them later. it's simply not true. you WILL forget about them and you WILL have to clean up the mess later!

so some other silly things...

the last town we were in was called Villa Gesell. it was a great beach town where we were the only non-Argentinian tourists... so everywhere we went people were very sweet to us. some of our favourite things there had to do with eating. the first night we arrived at 11pm and were starving. we finally decided on this one pizza place...best decision ever! this little bald man resembling Mr Clean came up to us and in an Argentinian-Italian accent was explaining to us that we could eat as much pasta and pizza as we could handle for 10 pesos (4 CDN)...but the funny part was the way he did this by hopping from foot to foot, hands in the air singing 'pizza-pasta-pasta-pizza!!'. probably one of those things you had to be there for. the next night we were spoon fed by this round Italian cook amazing dishes...he was adorable.

the strangest thing about that place was the washroom in the first place we stayed at.... small doesn't begin to describe it...i think cramped or crowded is closer to the mark. picture your powder room at home...now cut 1/3 off...and then add a bidet and a shower. you are closer to the idea. but how did the shower fit? well, it didn't really, but that did not stop them. what i'm getting at here is that you could only have a shower while sitting on the toilet, and could really only brush your teeth while dangerously close to the bidet. so of course the three of us got back from the pasta-pizza place and played in the washroom. good times, good times.

well, that's it for that stuff... the next post is about the heart and soul of my trip.

addy :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home